This activity uses YouTube clips. To avoid ads, you may like to open them in separate tabs before class, pausing them at the start of the track.
Hand out our Musical Adventure worksheet and say that today you’re going to go on a musical journey. Explain that you’ll play some music and as they listen you’d like them to write down how it makes them feel.
Reassure them that everyone has different taste in music and that this is about how the song makes us feel, rather than whether we think it’s cool.
Play each song for 30 seconds to 1 minute – ideally so tamariki can hear the music, but not see the picture.
Song ideas – you may like to use others:
- Four Seasons, Vivaldi
- Shake It Off, Taylor Swift
- Happy, Pharrell Williams
- Tarakihi, Kiri Te Kanawa
- The Way You Make Me Feel, Michael Jackson
- All About That Base, Meghan Trainor (Older students!)
- Wonky Donkey, Craig Smith
- Closer to the Edge, 30 Seconds To Mars
- Don’t Dream It’s Over, Crowded House
- 20, Voltaj
- River Flows In You, Yiruma
Debrief after each song or at the end if you think the group may be self-conscious about liking something ‘unpopular’.
We’d suggest using genres that bring calm in the classroom, and encouraging students to seek out songs that make them feel happy and relaxed.