Explain that today you’re going to create compliment posters where students will get the chance to give and receive compliments from a wide range of people.
On a blank sheet of paper, ask students to write their name and add a photo or drawing of themselves.
Write 3 – 4 key compliment categories on the board such as:
- Something they are good at.
- Something you like about their personality.
- Something that makes them fun, special and one-of-a-kind.
Explain that students will get the chance to write compliments on each others’ posters – in pencil.
Add a couple of examples on the board. E.g.
- You’re an awesome sprinter! From Justin
- I like your paintings. From Ariana
- You’re great at making people smile. From Sam
They could add their name, or do it anonymously, writing the compliment only.
Create a system for passing the posters around the room and moderate the compliments both during and after the exercise, ideally collecting the posters to check the comments are kind and positive.
Hand the posters back and give students time to read their messages, and discuss how the activity made them feel, before creating your Compliment wall.
When displayed in the classroom, these posters will remind tamariki to be kind and compliment others.