You could try this via zoom or Google Meets time as long as tamariki stick close to the WIFI! Or could upload to Seesaw as a recording.
Let tamariki know that you’re all going to head outside and look for some ordinary things that exist in our natural world. Ask them to look for the extra-ordinary in this ordinary though! There’s no need to explain this too much, they will enjoy whatever they like!
Ask them to sit down – perhaps under a tree, and try this very quick mindfulness activity using your gentlest voice, ask that in their heads they can:
- Notice 5 natural things you can see
- Notice 4 different colours in these things
- Notice 3 different textures – e.g rugged bark, pointed grass (you might now want to ask tamariki to close their eyes – it can help!)
- Notice 2 things you can smell
- Notice 1 favourite thing from any part of today
Ask them to just stay still for a moment longer, then slowly open their eyes – check in with how they’re feeling (they could record their answer). No change is absolutely fine!