Ask tamariki to listen to Mr Roberelli’s Favourites in the Natural World and ask what the theme of the song might be.
The interesting thing about the song is that it points to quite ‘normal’ and ordinary things we might see outside.
It might also be good to kōrero about why is it ‘great to have favourites in the natural world?’
Let tamariki know that you’re all going to head outside and look for some ordinary things that exist in our natural world. Ask them to look for the extra-ordinary in this ordinary though! There’s no need to explain this too much, they will enjoy whatever they like!
While outside, gather tamariki together and ask them to sit down – perhaps under a tree, and try this very quick mindfulness activity using your gentlest voice, ask that in their heads they can:
- Notice 5 natural things you can see
- Notice 4 different colours in these things
- Notice 3 different textures – e.g rugged bark, pointed grass (you might now want to ask tamariki to close their eyes – it can help!)
- Notice 2 things you can smell
- Notice 1 favourite thing from any part of today
Ask them to just stay still for a moment longer, then slowly open their eyes – check in with how they’re feeling. No change is absolutely fine!