We’d suggest introducing this activity on a Friday, ahead of a fresh week.
Let your class know that you’re going to have a sensory week where they’ll get to explore and enjoy a different sense each day.
Starting Monday, write your ‘sense of the day’ on the board. You may like to change some things in the room to bring this sense to life. E.g. Using a nice room spray if your sense of the day is smell.
Brainstorm your Sense of the Day. When do they most enjoy using this sense (e.g the smell of fresh baking, the ocean, their Mum’s perfume)?
To bring the sense to life, set up (or hand out) 1-5 fun tactile things tamariki can try using that sense. E.g.
- Smell: Lemon/lime, popcorn, chilli paste, pine needles, saw dust, grass, cotton wool with lavender.
- Touch: Cotton wool, pinecones, sand, fur, moss, stones, drift wood.
- Taste: Chocolate, orange, marmite, cheese, raisins, rock melon, pretzels.
- Sight: Windmills, kaleidoscope, colours, photos.
- Sound: Instruments and auditory items or play Guess The Sound (hide pictures and pause after each noise to let them guess!).
Encourage tamariki to keep tuning into your ‘sense of the day’ and give them a chance the following morning to report back on things they’ve noticed. They may like to bring something from home that encourages this sense.
Ask how they found focusing on this sense, and whether there are situations they’d like to use it more.